Serving Size 2 sliders
- 8 whole-grain slider buns (lowest sodium available)
- 1 1/4 pounds ground skinless turkey breast
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sliced brown (cremimi) mushrooms
- 4 slices low-fat Swiss cheese, cut in half
- 1 medium avocado, peeled, pitted, and mashed with a fork
- 1 medium tomato, cut into 8 slices (about 1/4-inch thick)
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Arrange the buns with the cut side up in a single layer on a baking sheet. Set aside.
- Using your hands or a spoon, shape the turkey into 8 patties, each about 3 inches in diameter. (The uncooked patties will be larger than the bun and will shrink as they cook.) Sprinkle the salt over each patty.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet or griddle pan over medium-high heat.
- Cook the patties for 2 to 3 minutes. Turn over. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the patties are no longer pink in the center and register 165°F on an instant-read thermometer.
- Transfer the patties to the bottoms of the buns.
- In the same skillet, cook the mushrooms over medium heat for about 3 minutes, or until soft, stirring frequently.
- Spoon the mushrooms onto each patty. Top with the Swiss cheese.
- Place the baking sheet on the middle rack of the oven. Bake the sliders for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the Swiss cheese is melted and the buns are heated through. Remove from the oven.
- Spread the avocado over the Swiss cheese. Top with the tomato slices. Put the tops of the buns on the sliders.
- Using four short skewers, pierce two sliders with each skewer, if desired. Serve immediately.
-Recipe from the American Heart Association