Author: Jenifer Smith, Pharm.D., BCPS, pharmacy clinical manager, Providence Health Plan
As a support tool for providers, the regional pharmacy team is working to broadly share its Pathway to Treat guide that links best evidence to practice and optimizes clinical outcomes. The Pathway to Treat tool is updated regularly with featured clinical topics and recommended pharmaceutical therapies.
The guides promote adherence to clinical guidelines, improve quality, reduce variation and increase efficient use of health care resources.
The updated Persistent, Non-Malignant Pain tool is now available. This useful, at-a-glance document includes:
- Links to helpful resources
- Preferred non-opioid therapies for different types of pain, including some cost information and a comparison of preferred generics, non-preferred generics and over-the-counter medications
- Guidance for opioid-related topics such as:
- How to prescribe safe treatment regimens
- What to evaluate and consider in initiating opioid therapy
- How to conduct a regular assessment of need for continuing therapy
- When and how to safely taper
Electronic copies of the Pathway to Treat updates (including the Persistent, Non-Malignant Pain tool) are available through ProvLink:
For more information
About the AuthorMore Content by Providence Pulse Content Team