Testing for COVID-19 should be done only if a licensed healthcare provider determines it is necessary and based on symptoms and patient history. The healthcare provider must provide an order for a test to be conducted.
These are the priorities for COVID-19 testing:
- Hospitalized patients whose results help determine their care, including the degree of infection control
- Residents and staff of long-term care facilities, who have signs and symptoms
- Those who are at higher risk for severe infection, including the elderly and those with chronic medical conditions
- Residents and staff of correctional facilities and similar settings
- Healthcare personnel with signs and symptoms
Those who fall in these categories and have mild symptoms should contact their health care provider by phone to discuss the need for testing.
About the AuthorMore Content by Providence News Team