Author: R. Bryan Bell, M.D., D.D.S., FACS, FRCS(Ed), physician executive, Providence Cancer Institute; director, division of surgical oncology, radiation oncology and clinical programs
The Providence Gynecologic Oncology Program provides specialized care for women with suspected or known gynecologic malignancies and complex precancerous conditions. We offer care at two locations, at the Robert W. Franz Cancer Center at Providence Portland and now also at Providence St. Vincent Medical Center.
Through the program, patients have access to advanced treatments, such as robotic surgery, immunotherapy, and the latest research and clinical trials. Patients also have the convenience of receiving all their care in a single location.
Our team of experts
Christopher Darus, M.D., MS, joined Providence Cancer Institute as medical director of the Gynecologic Oncology Program in October 2020. He most recently served as attending physician and director of research, gynecologic oncology, Maine Medical Center, in Portland, Maine.
Dr. Darus graduated from Wright State University School of Medicine in 2000 and completed his residency in obstetrics and gynecology at University of Colorado Health Sciences Center in 2004. Following his residency, he completed a fellowship in gynecologic oncology at the University of Virginia in 2007.
Cassandra Niemi, M.D., joined the team in January 2021. Most recently, Dr. Niemi specialized in gynecologic oncology at Compass Oncology in Portland, where she served on committees for best practice and compassionate care.
Dr. Niemi received her medical degree from University of Michigan Medical School in 2011 and completed her residency in obstetrics and gynecology at Oregon Health & Science University in 2015. She completed a fellowship in gynecologic oncology at University of Wisconsin in 2018.
Jun Ma, ARNP, Ph.D., joined the team in January 2021 as a board-certified advanced oncology nurse practitioner. Jun, who started her gynecologic oncology nursing practice at Providence, rejoins the team after five years of practice at Legacy Health in Portland.
Jun completed her graduate nursing education at Oregon Health & Science University in 2011. She also holds doctoral degrees in tumor immunology and medicine from Xi’an Medical University in Xi’an China, where she completed her residency in obstetrics and gynecology. She is fluent in Chinese Mandarin and English, and she is a board-certified Mandarin medical interpreter.
Our gynecologic oncology providers are active members of leading medical associations, including the Society of Gynecologic Oncology and the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Other members of the Gynecologic Oncology Program team include oncology nurses, radiation oncologists, gynecologic pathologists, genetic risk experts, oncology social workers, integrative medicine providers, nutrition specialists, clinical trials nurses, medical assistants and others.
Our research portfolio includes more than 15 clinical trials for gynecologic cancers, with several more studies expected to open soon. From early-stage disease to metastatic cancer, our studies include phase I, first-in-human trials and National Cancer Institute-supported cooperative group trials of surgical procedures, immunotherapies, and other investigational agents in the adjuvant and neoadjuvant settings.
Types of gynecologic cancers and conditions treated
- Uterine/endometrial cancer
- Ovarian/fallopian tube cancer
- Primary peritoneal cancer
- Cervical cancer
- Uterine sarcomas
- Vulvar cancer
- Vaginal cancer
- Gestational trophoblastic neoplasia
- Complex pelvic masses
- Women at familial risk of gynecologic cancers
- Post-menopausal bleeding
- Pre-invasive conditions
- Endometrial hyperplasia/neoplasia
- Cervical dysplasia
- Vaginal dysplasia
- Vulvar dysplasia
Treatments and services provided
- Advanced radical abdominal, pelvic, vulvo-vaginal surgery; minimally invasive and robotic surgery; and sentinel node mapping
- Biological therapy
- Radiation oncology
- Genomic sequencing
- Genetic risk assessment
- Oncology nutrition
- Integrative therapies
- Innovative therapies and clinical trials
- Long-term follow-up care
For more information
- To refer a patient, call 503-215-2075.
- Website: providenceoregon.org/gyncancer
- Dr. Darus’ provider profile: https://www.providence.org/doctors/profile/1667834-christopher-j-darus
- Dr. Niemi’s provider profile: https://www.providence.org/doctors/profile/755459-cassandra-m-niemi?region=or
- Jun Ma’s provider profile: https://www.providence.org/doctors/profile/195319-jun-ma
- KATU: Providence Family Matters with Dr. Darus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkN3y2Yw3P8&feature=youtu.be
- KGW: Providence Wellness Watch with Dr. Darus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9NmVhANv-s&trk=organization-update-content_share-embed-video_share-article_title
About the AuthorMore Content by Providence inScope Content Team