Providence faced many challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020, but at the same time, our committed caregivers made significant progress in meeting our environmental stewardship goals.
Providence partners with Practice Greenhealth, the nation’s leading organization in helping health care institutions create healthy workplaces and communities by decreasing their impact on the environment. Since 2005, Providence ministries have participated in their national awards program recognizing best practices in environmental stewardship.
Last week, Practice Greenhealth awarded 23 of our acute ministries the “Environmental Excellence” award, the most ever for Providence. Winning this honor indicates a significant and sustained commitment to environmental stewardship across twelve categories. Winning facilities must demonstrate they are working toward energy efficiency, waste reduction, elimination of mercury and other chemicals of concern and sustainable food programs.
Also, for the first time, Providence was recognized with the “System for Change Award.” This is awarded to health systems that are working cohesively to set system-wide goals, track data and benchmark and share successes in environmental performance. Providence is one of only eight health systems to have won this award this year.
“It is great to receive recognition for hard work, and we can be proud of the 23 ministries who won awards this year, and for the first time, our ‘System for Change Award,’ said Beth Schenk, PhD, RN, FAAN, executive director of environmental stewardship. “The awards benchmark our progress, ensuring that we are following national standards and best practices as we develop and expand our programs.”
The Practice Greenhealth recognitions are a testament to the hard work and commitment from our employees, which will also help us achieve our goal of becoming carbon negative by 2030.
Congratulations to all winning facilities, and to the hardworking caregivers who made this possible!
2021 Practice Greenhealth Award Winners
“System for Change Award” winner
“Environmental Excellence Award” winners
- Providence Alaska Medical Center
- Providence Hood River Memorial Hospital
- Providence Medford Medical Center
- Providence Milwaukie Hospital
- Providence Newberg Medical Center
- Providence Portland Medical Center
- Providence Seaside Hospital
- Providence St. Vincent Medical Center
- Providence Willamette Falls Medical Center
- Swedish Ballard
- Swedish Cherry Hill
- Swedish Edmonds
- Swedish First Hill
- Swedish Issaquah
- Kadlec Regional Medical Center
- Providence Centralia Hospital
- Providence Holy Family Hospital
- Providence Regional Medical Center Everett
- Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center
- Providence St. Joseph Medical Center (Polson, MT)
- Providence St. Mary Medical Center (Walla Walla, WA)
- Providence St. Patrick Hospital
- Providence St. Peter Hospital
About the AuthorMore Content by Providence News Team