If you don't usually associate the Fourth of July with healthy food and low-calorie recipes, you're not alone. However, since the Fourth of July is the perfect day for breaking out your grill, it's easy to incorporate health-conscious recipes into your celebration. Not sure where to start? Try these adult and kid-friendly recipes under 400 calories that are sure to please.
Summer Herbed Grilled Shrimp
- ⅓ cup of finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1½ pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1½ tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Cooking spray
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- In a small bowl, combine first 5 ingredients.
- In a large bowl, combine shrimp, 1 tablespoon oil, honey, pepper and salt; toss gently to coat.
- Arrange shrimp on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 3 minutes on each side or until done. Remove shrimp from the grill.
- Stir remaining 1½ tablespoons oil and vinegar into herb mixture. Top shrimp with herb mixture, or toss all together.
Grilled Chipotle Lime Cauliflower Steaks
- 2 large heads cauliflower
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 limes, zested and juice
- 2 cloves garlic, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon honey or agave syrup
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro leaves
- Lime wedges, to serve
- Remove the leaves on each cauliflower head and trim the stem end until you can set the cauliflower flat on the cutting board. Use a large, sharp knife to trim off the sides, then cut the cauliflower into 3 to 4 thick "steaks."
- In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil with the lime juice. Whisk in the grated garlic and honey or agave syrup. In a separate bowl, mix the lime zest, paprika, chipotle and salt.
- Heat a gas or charcoal grill to medium. Brush one side of each cauliflower steak with the olive oil mixture and sprinkle generously with the chipotle powder mixture. Place the seasoned side down on the hot grill. Brush the tops with the olive oil mixture and season with the chipotle mix.
- Cover the grill and cook for 5 to 6 minutes. Remove the lid and carefully flip the cauliflower. Cook covered for an additional 5 minutes or until done to your desired texture.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve immediately with lime wedges on the side.
Grilled Corn, Poblano and Black Bean Salad
- 2 ears shucked corn
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 green onions
- 1 avocado, peeled, halved, and pitted
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 large poblano chile
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- One 15-ounce can no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- Cooking spray
- Preheat grill to high heat.
- Brush corn with 2 teaspoons oil. Place green onions, avocado, bell pepper, poblano and corn on a grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill onions 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Grill avocado 2 minutes on each side or until well-marked. Grill bell pepper 6 minutes on each side or until blackened; peel. Grill poblano 9 minutes on each side or until blackened; peel. Grill corn 12 minutes or until beginning to brown on all sides, turning occasionally.
- In a large bowl, place cut kernels from ears of corn. Chop onion, bell pepper and poblano; add to bowl.
- To the bowl, add remaining 4 teaspoons oil, cilantro, juice, cumin, salt, black pepper and beans. Toss well. Cut avocado into thin slices and place on top of salad.
Watermelon Fruit Pizza
- ½ cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large round slices watermelon (about 1 inch thick), cut from the center of the melon
- ⅔ cup sliced strawberries
- ½ cup halved blackberries
- 2 tablespoons torn fresh mint leaves
- In a small bowl, combine yogurt, honey and vanilla.
- Spread ¼ cup yogurt mixture over each slice of watermelon.
- Cut each slice into 8 wedges.
- Top with strawberries, blackberries and mint.
As you can see, there are plenty of ways to incorporate low-calorie recipes into your July Fourth celebration. Grilling isn’t the only way to cook these delicious recipes, however. If you don’t have a barbecue or aren’t grilling outside, these recipes can also be made in an oven or on the stove. Happy Fourth of July!
Have a favorite recipe of your own?
Share in the comments below.
About the AuthorMore Content by Providence Health Team