Providence St. Mary Medical Center's COVID-19 Prevention Campaign is making headway this summer, with lots of community outreach events coming up soon.
The campaign is funded by a grant from Together Toward Health, a program of the Public Health Institute, and is aimed at promoting behavioral change that reduces the spread of the coronavirus in the High Desert’s vulnerable communities.
The project involves both “boots on the ground” outreach and a culturally-informed online/social media campaign, so those interested can keep up with activities via the Providence St. Mary Facebook page and the campaign landing page, www.Providence.org/OurShotHD.
In May, Providence St. Mary launched a subcampaign entitled “Mask Up With Pride,” supported by a grant from the San Manuel Band of Mission Indians and intended to inspire the High Desert’s diverse communities about the importance of face masks by reflecting on heritage and culture.
Materials made for the “Mask Up” campaign, including masks and tote bags embellished with a colorful design that honors various cultures in the local community, are being distributed by the COVID-19 Prevention Campaign team at local events.
The team is also providing residents with educational materials about virus prevention, recognizing symptoms, choosing safer activities, and most importantly — getting vaccinated against COVID-19.
So far, the team has provided information to local residents outside of Food4Less in Victorville and participated in the Apple Valley Concert Series and Lucerne Valley Roadrunners’ July 3rd Carnival. Upcoming events that the COVID-19 Prevention Campaign team will be participating in include:
- Movies in the Park at Civic Plaza Park in Hesperia on Saturday, July 17 and Saturday, July 24
- Mercado Plaza del Carmen at Hilltop Tavern & Inn in Apple Valley on Sunday, July 18
- Phelan Farmers Market at Phelan Community Park on Monday, July 19
- High Desert Backpack Giveaway at the San Bernardino County Fairgrounds in Victorville on Thursday, July 29
- St. Joan of Arc Catholic Church service in Victorville on Sunday, August 1