A patient experience research project
MyCovidDiary is a research project launched early in the COVID-19 pandemic to better understand patient experiences and clinical manifestations of COVID-19. Using a mobile app-based platform, participants respond regularly to structured questionnaires and create open-ended journal entries about their experiences with the disease and its progression for up to 12 months after their infection.
Over 16,000 COVID-19-positive patients from across the Providence health system joined the study in its first two years. This rich collection of first-person accounts provides a valuable resource for understanding the disease, its symptoms, and progression, and helping improve the delivery of holistic patient-centered care for COVID-19 patients during infection and recovery
The Providence Center for Outcomes Research & Education (CORE) is helping study and publish these patient-reported outcomes. Our focus areas include:
- Describing patient-reported outcomes for fully vaccinated COVID-19 patients.
- Exploring social-emotional experiences and support needed for COVID-19 patients.
- Classifying patient-reported long COVID-19 experiences across physical, mental, and social wellbeing.
This work is made possible by funding from Providence and the Providence St. Joseph Foundation, in partnership with Providence’s Clinical Analytics team.
- A patient-centered project leveraging insights and experiences from a large sampling of Providence patients.
- Structured questionnaires and open-ended text responses (i.e. journal entries) to prospectively monitor the patient experience for individuals infected with COVID-19.
- Quantitative and qualitative analyses of the survey and journal entry data, respectively.
- CORE continues working to analyze and disseminate findings from this research.
- Additional My COVID Diary related research projects will be announced in 2023.
Patient-Reported Outcomes for Fully Vaccinated COVID-19 Patients Over 6 Weeks: The Experiences of Clinical Breakthrough Cases
Additional resources & links
- MyCovidDiary website
- CORE Annual Report; see Page 22
- MyCovidDiary Spotlight
Keri Vartanian, Daniel Fish, Benjamin Gronowski, Natalie Kenton
- Providence Research Network
- Providence Health Research Accelerator
- Ari Robicsek, M.D., chief analytics and research officer, Providence
- Bill Wright, PhD, vice president of health innovation research, Providence
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org