Five years ago, Providence Health & Services and St. Joseph Health joined to form one family. Caregivers across Providence recently gathered to celebrate that anniversary and the strong foundation that we’ve created together. Even amid a pandemic, caregivers have never waivered from our mission and values—a strong testament to our dedicated caregivers.
Providence’s five core values
Part of this celebration is our annual Values in Action award ceremony, which is the highest honor we give each year. This annual caregiver recognition program celebrates those who set the highest standard for all of us by modeling five core values:
More than 7,000 caregivers were nominated for 2021’s Values in Actions awards, and 17 were chosen to receive Providence’s highest honor at this year’s Rays of Light Gala on Friday, July 23, 2021. If you’d like to watch the entire gala celebration, you can do so at the link below:
Meet the 17 award recipients
Award recipients include people such as Beth Sobel, Director, Clinical nutrition, pharmacy and patient education, Facey Medical Foundation, who launched multiple free (and virtual) programs to educate people on nutrition and living with chronic pain. And Christa Arguinchona, RN, Program manager, Special pathogens unit, Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center who made sure both her patients and her staff were safe while treating early COVID-19 patients. Or Cheryl Berks, Senior program manager, Diversity Equity and Inclusion, Ambulatory Care Network, who has been front and center on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) work at Providence.
You can learn more about each award recipient by watching their award videos, showcasing how they live the five core values. Each video gives you a glimpse of the unique qualities that every award recipient possesses. Their leadership, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic, set the tone for Providence and ensured we continued to be in service of others. These are just some of the faces working to bring patients world-class healthcare and support to Providence caregivers.
The voices narrating the videos are from the Providence caregivers who nominated each person, illustrating the respect and support they all share for one another. The full list of award recipients is below:
- Natali Henry, Regional program manager, Quality, Providence Alaska Medical Center
- Allison Craig, Physical therapist, Redwood Memorial Hospital
- Michelle Darrow, Manager, Outpatient rehab services, Mission Hospital
- Beth Sobel, Director, Clinical nutrition, pharmacy and patient education, Facey Medical Foundation
- Colleen Swick, RN, Palliative care, St. Mary Medical Center
- Jamie Hanshaw, Director, Providence Senior Village
- Tamera Wilkins, Specialist, Education outreach, Providence Portland Medical Center
- Phuong Truong, Specialist, operations support, Providence Health Plan
- Sam Wiley, M.D., Covenant Medical Group
- Yemi Adeyanju, Vice president and senior corporate counsel, Legal
- Cheryl Berks, Senior program manager, Diversity Equity and Inclusion, Ambulatory Care Network
- Regean Kurtz, RN, Oncology, Swedish Cancer Institute, First Hill
- Caryn Stewart, LICSW, Case management coordinator, Swedish Cancer Institute, First Hill
Texas and New Mexico
- Rachel Prutzman, RN, BSN, Nursing manager, Covenant Health, Plainview
Washington and Montana
- Albert Angkico, Director, Operations, Providence Mount St. Vincent
- Christa Arguinchona, RN, Program manager, Special pathogens unit, Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center
- Paula Newman Skomski, ARNP, Providence Intervention Center for Assault and Abuse
Are you a Providence caregiver?
Nominations are now being accepted for 2022 Values in Action Awards. Now through Sept. 6, nominate a fellow caregiver who lives our values here.
Find a doctor
If these stories inspired you to think about your health and take charge of your well-being, talk to your primary care doctor about your questions and needs. If you need to find a doctor, you can use our online provider directory.
Providence in your inbox
Subscribe to our newsletter to get more educational and inspirational stories from the expert caregivers at Providence.